Since at least the beginning of the 16th century, each municipality was required to have a chest or cabinet, with two locks, where the municipal standards were kept. This order was stipulated in the Regulation of Weights of 1502, included in the Regulations of the Officials of the Cities, Villages and Places of these Realms.
This provision was incorporated in successive legislative compilations known as the Ordinances of the Realm, with slight alterations. The first were the Manueline Ordinances and then the Philippine, which remained in effect until the 19th century.
Near the chest of municipal standards of Montijo, we can see a copper almude that belonged to the municipality of Torres Vedras, as well as a wooden alqueire from the municipality of Campo Maior, and a cylindrical wooden leveller, of unknown origin.